Who we are:
We are a collaborative group of scientists excited about genetics, genomics, and developmental biology. We explore how genome regulatory mechanisms orchestrate embryonic development, maintain the health of adult tissues, and become dysregulated during cancer. We use the model system of the nematode worm, Caenorhabditis elegans, because it allows us to address research questions with high throughput. In addition, we engage in exciting collaborative projects that impact human health particularly in cancer biology.
Our research strategy combines hypothesis-driven experimentation and big-data analysis. We develop and utilize cutting edge genomics and microscopy techniques to address our research questions. Most researchers perform both benchtop and computational projects. This presents a unique opportunity to gain expertise in molecular biology and computational skills.
Our lab is located on the beautiful campus of Colorado State University in lovely Fort Collins. Colorado State University is a thriving public research university. Fort Collins is consistently ranked among the best places to live in the US and boasts world class outdoor activities.
Who we need:
We need to fill a technician position in our lab. The qualified person will develop, execute, and report molecular biology projects with graduate students, postdocs, collaborators, and the principle investigator of the lab. The person will perform molecular biology experiments and tasks (50% time). In addition, the person will serve as a major organizer of the lab’s biological inventories and media (50%). The person will be an engaged member of our lab and the larger research community.
Required job qualifications:
- BS or MS degree in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, genetics, developmental biology, computational biology, or another related field
- Lab experience as a molecular biologist
- Strong letters of recommendation that address molecular biology skills
- Experience producing scientific plots, figures, and presentations
- Good organization skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excitement about research
- The ability to learn on-the-job
Optional job qualifications:
- Proficiency in molecular biology techniques (PCR, sub-cloning, Sanger sequencing, qRT-PCR, genotyping)
- Proficiency in biochemistry techniques (western blots, immunoprecipitations)
- Proficiency in microscopy
- Animal husbandry (nematodes, flies, or other model organisms a plus)
- Computational biology techniques
- Previous authorship on scientific manuscripts
- Previous lab management experience
- Database management experience
- Public speaking experience
- Scientific writing experience
Proposed job details:
- $32,000 – $35,700 starting salary range, based on experience.
- benefits eligible
- 40 hr work week
- Start date negotiable but can be as early as October 1, 2018
- Job site is on the main campus of Colorado State University in Fort Collins, CO
A complete application consists of:
- A cover letter that includes (1) a statement of your qualifications, (2) a statement of your previous research experience, (3) a statement of your future goals.
- A resume or CV (must include references to any publications, if available)
- Please e-mail application to email@example.com
- Reference TECH102 in the subject line
The successful applicant will need to provide as part of the hiring process:
- Contact information for three referees
- A background check
- Our lab group is committed to fostering an inclusive environment free from discrimination and harassment, one that celebrates the diverse personalities and backgrounds of its members.
- Equal Employment Opportunity Statement of Colorado State University: CSU is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action.